Improper digestion brings about issues that hinder frequent bowel movements or hard impassable stools. Getting occasional constipation is the norm, but chronic constipation can be extremely draining. The frequency of bowel movements differs from three times a day to three times a week, and victims of constipation have fewer or no movements in a week.
Recurrence of constipation is a major hindrance to regular bowel movements, the disease is more rampant in women than men, and most people use herbal medicines. Acute constipation causes gas obstruction in the intestines and bowel, which might cause life-threatening situations.
Chronic constipation has massive adverse effects on the quality of life victims live and, in extreme cases, notable psychological afflictions. However, below are signs that victims go through and ways to find immediate constipation relief for victims.
Table of Contents
Causes of Constipation
Constipation can happen for various reasons, as listed below.
- Taking a lot of meat, refined sugars, dairy products, gluten, and processed foods.
- Lack of vegetables, fruits, and fibre in the diet.
- Excessive drinking of alcohol
- Lack of exercise
- Some medications like antibiotics, oral contraceptives, antidepressants can fuel the situation.
- There is a buildup of toxins in the body of heavy metals like benzene, PCB, and fluoride.
Signs of Constipation and Ways to find Immediate Relief
- Infrequent bowel movements
- Lumpy stools
- Having a sense that everything did not come out after a bowel movement
- Constipation is only a symptom of underlying diseases (cardiovascular, cancer) or other conditions.
- It is because of poor intake of fluids, diet, and digestive obstruction in the body.
- Pain in the bowel area, lower or upper abdomen.
- Natural home remedies like gentle exercise and a high-fibre diet can alleviate constipation.
- Victims can use Over The Counter medication (OTC) that contains synthetic fibres and laxatives to help relieve the suffering.
- Constipation is prevalent in pregnancy, but it is manageable through light exercise, drinking lots of water or fluids, and eating high-fibre diets.
- Take regular bathroom breaks and a balanced diet.
How to Find Immediate Constipation Relief for Adults
There are several methods to alleviate constipation. Some are effective, while others are not depending on the cause. Other remedies may have side effects on the victim from its substances. Here are several ways for immediate constipation relief to instigate a fast bowel movement.
Increase water intake
The human body comprises 70% of water, and once the levels go below this limit, dehydration kicks in. Dehydration is the lead cause of constipation in many people, and sparkling water can effectively help to hydrate the body and end constipation faster than tap water. Constipation from indigestion or acute non-menstrual constipation is quickly relieved by sparkling water.
Ensure that you always drink enough water each day to keep your body hydrated.
Taking mineral water rich in sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in the morning before breakfast will stimulate bowel movements. Baking soda is a purifying agent that rids your body of uranium toxins and improves gastric emptying.
Daily Physical Exercise
Physical exercise is vital to keep the body healthy. Some of the benefits help get rid of constipation symptoms. An increase in physical exercise is why medical professionals recommend increasing bowel movements. Daily exercise will improve the quality of life and reduce health issues.
Increase Fibre intake in Your Diet
Treat frequent constipation by increasing the fibre content in your diet. High-fibre foods increase stability and stool volume, which makes removing them more manageable. Fibre is into two categories: Soluble and insoluble fibre.
- Insoluble fibres – Wheat bran, vegetables, whole grains end up as bulk in stools which helps with digestion and getting out stool fast, quickly.
- Soluble fibres are mainly in oats, barley, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, peas, and fruits. Fibre absorbs water to make a gel-like paste responsible for softening stools.
Caffeine drinks dehydrate the body, but they can help you get rid of constipation and poop. Coffee stimulates muscles in the digestive system, increasing the need to visit the bathroom. Although the caffeine in coffee can irritate the gut, it also balances bacteria in the gut, and its soluble fibres help prevent constipation. while balancing
Cut on fatty foods and low fibre food.
If you frequent fast-food joints, you may need to stop or cut down. Ensure that you avoid dairy products, processed foods, meat, as they have little or no fibre hence worsening constipation.
Change Your toilet posture.
The sitting position may not give you any results if you have difficulty pooping, but you can squat for a better outcome. If squatting does not change the situation, raise your legs or lean back for a different result.
Some people clench their muscles subconsciously when trying to poop resulting in constipation. You can engage in pelvic floor muscles exercises to relax and poop with ease.
Enemas and Laxatives.
Enemas are an OTC solution for hard stools, and they soften colon contents too quickly and flush the colon contents out. It is administered directly through the rectum, and the result is quick. Magnesium is an osmotic laxative that attracts water through tissue membranes, and it should be replaced often as it is not synthesisable. The best forms of magnesium are Magnesium carbonate, citrate, hydroxide, sulphate, and all contain the much-needed laxative properties of a constipating victim.
Probiotics are live natural beneficial bacteria in the stomach like Lactobacillus, and eating probiotic foods will help increase them. Constipation happens because there is an imbalance of bacteria in the bowels, which can be managed by eating probiotic-rich foods.
Ghee is a result of dairy products, and it has been used to heal for thousands of years. Its healing properties can help encourage the flow of stool when taken at bedtime. Add one teaspoon of ghee to boiling milk, and you will have positive results the following morning.
Aloe Vera is a natural herb for many conditions, including constipation, as it soothes the digestive system. Increase the intake of aloe Vera juice add it to your smoothie or water to relieve constipation.
Constipation is familiar to many people but quite rampant in others. Almost every adult has had a bloated stomach in their lifetime. Sometimes constipation can clear on its own, but in extreme cases, one must seek other remedies to deal with the condition. If Over The Counter (OTC) products or simple treatments don’t work, the patient needs medical attention. If you don’t find immediate constipation relief, the condition can affect your bowels.